On Friday, 30 March 2018 at 03:54:21 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
On Friday, 30 March 2018 at 02:46:13 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
On Friday, 30 March 2018 at 00:37:27 UTC, Meta wrote:

Unfortunately, this turned out to be the worst possible day for me to try to actively monitor the thread and respond to questions. I'm surprised that people latched onto my little quip about C++ using the name variant for a tagged union.

It seems that any comment in a D article that refers to C++ will be construed in the worst possible way on reddit...

That's fine by me. Right now, this post is the fourth most-viewed this year and it's not far off from number three.

While I would love to please the reddit crowd to the extent that we see no negativity, I'm quite happy with the fact that our comment threads there are nowhere near as negative as they used to be. Posts that do generate this level of discussion have higher views.

I can't dismiss reddit comments completely, but I don't put as much weight on them as I used to. A subreddit is somewhat comparable to a forum for a popular video game -- lots of vocal people who are actually a small minority of the player base. We can't measure the number of people who click the reddit link to the blog and come away from it with a positive impression. They aren't going to bother commenting on reddit.

You're right and the unreasonable position of the SolidStateGraphics user is clear for everyone to see. There are some points he makes that could be discussed but by holding essentially the position "D is shit because it is not C++" his whole argumentation falls apart as Stockholm-syndrome induced rationalisation.