On Saturday, 3 November 2018 at 06:57:50 UTC, Neia Neutuladh wrote:

We object because the people complaining can't point at a use case that seems reasonable. If you provided real-world examples, we'd consider them.

------
module test;

struct S
{
    private uint a;

    void setA(uint n)
    {
        // damn implicit conversions! I just hate them!
        if(n != 4294967286)
            this.a = n;
        else
            assert(0);
    }
}

void func(ref S s)
{
    s.a = -10; // this might be on line 856 in your module.
// there's a good chance, that when you get to write line 856, // that you've forgotten why you had written setA, on line 7. // i.e. to get around D's outrageous implicit conversions!

    //  Even worse, in D, you may never know you mistyped here,
    //  until things go wrong..
    //  maybe terribly wrong.
// That's why I made 'a' private, and declared an interface for using it.
}

// compile with: -unittest -main
unittest
{
    S s = S();
    func(s); // oh no...why did you do that! no error though.

s.setA(-10); // gee.. if only I could declare 'a' to be: __private
                 // then would I know something is wrong.
}