On Wednesday, 7 November 2018 at 08:31:21 UTC, Joakim wrote:
I just benchmarked building the last couple versions of DMD, when most of the backend was converted to D, by building them with the latest DMD 2.083.0 official release and clang 6.0 in a single-core linux/x64 VPS. Here are the times I got, best of 3 runs for each:

2.081.2 - 11.5s
2.082.1 - 10.5s
2.083.0 - 9.9s
master  - 10.8s

Not quite the gains hoped for, particularly with those last large files you just converted to D seemingly slowing compilation down

Could this be because you used a LLVM compiler for the C code but a Mars compiler for D code? If one either uses DMC for C or LDC for D, perhaps the results will be better.