On Saturday, 22 December 2018 at 12:18:25 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
Thanks to Symmetry Investments, DConf is heading to London! We're still ironing out the details, but I've been sitting on this for weeks and, now that we have a venue, I just can't keep quiet about it any longer.

I've updated the DConf site and published a blog post, but I ask that you please don't share this to reddit just yet. I want to wait until after Christmas to share it there. We're still ironing out some details (deadlines, prices, hotels) and I'll update the DConf site in the coming days with info as I get it.

Happy Holidays!

http://dconf.org/2019/index.html

https://dlang.org/blog/2018/12/22/dconf-2019-shepherds-pie-edition/

Given that this conference format is dying off, is there any explanation for why the D team wants to continue this antiquated ritual?

https://marco.org/2018/01/17/end-of-conference-era
http://subfurther.com/blog/2018/01/15/the-final-conf-down/
https://forum.dlang.org/thread/ogrdeyojqzosvjnth...@forum.dlang.org

It costs $3k to hire a pull request manager, something D desperately needed, yet here you are having the average conference participant spend that mostly on flights and hotels to go to London, only to stare silently at presentations most of the time, while surrounded by a room full of people. What are the possible priorities that this can be considered a good idea?

The egregious waste of time and resources of this DConf format strongly signals that D is not a serious effort to build a used language, but a hobby project by two tech retirees, W&A, who just want to prototype some different ideas, show it off to a bunch of fellow hobbyists, and then have some beers and go sight-seeing.

If this is the core team's goal, please just stop stating otherwise and broadcast this on the front page of the website, as you're essentially doing by the way this blog post was written. Giant companies like google or Microsoft can afford these antiquated, giant wastes of time known as conferences and even they are cutting back. The fact that the D team is moving forward with this given how tech is moving is a horrible sign, suggesting it is completely out of touch and unable to prioritize well.
  • DConf 2019: Shepherd's Pie... Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: DConf 2019: Sheph... Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: DConf 2019: Sheph... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: DConf 2019: S... Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: DConf 201... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: DConf... Johannes Loher via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Bastiaan Veelo via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce