On Monday, 14 January 2019 at 10:06:48 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 at 05:31:27 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:

When something like an object system is made part of the language (or at the very least, the standard library), it becomes a focal point [2] that the community can coordinate around. Due to the diverse, distributed nature of any programming-language community, trying to coordinate through explicit communication is not really a viable option, so having these kinds of focal points is very important if we want to be able to work together on anything.

[1] http://winestockwebdesign.com/Essays/Lisp_Curse.html
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_point_(game_theory)

I think D's structs are a sufficient object system for such a focal point. With design by introspection, `alias`, templates, `alias this`, `static if`, CTFE, mixins, and a few new D features, classes would be unnecessary. Rust and Zig are pretty good examples of this.

Do people really use Rust in production beyond the safety die hards (of course Mozilla and few uses here and there, mostly C guys...lowlevel purists)? Its such a weird,complicated and academic lang... doubt it'll ever be mainstream like D is supposed to be.