On Monday, 14 January 2019 at 10:06:48 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
On Monday, 14 January 2019 at 05:31:27 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:

When something like an object system is made part of the language (or at the very least, the standard library), it becomes a focal point [2] that the community can coordinate around. Due to the diverse, distributed nature of any programming-language community, trying to coordinate through explicit communication is not really a viable option, so having these kinds of focal points is very important if we want to be able to work together on anything.

[1] http://winestockwebdesign.com/Essays/Lisp_Curse.html
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_point_(game_theory)

I think D's structs are a sufficient object system for such a focal point. With design by introspection, `alias`, templates, `alias this`, `static if`, CTFE, mixins, and a few new D features, classes would be unnecessary. Rust and Zig are pretty good examples of this.

D's implementation could even be improved to keep its runtime, yet still allow D to be used as I'm suggesting, without introducing any breakage for anyone. I made some significant progress in that direction when I was working on the compiler in the 2017~2018 timeframe, but my abilities ultimately fell short, and I couldn't see a way forward without support.

Mike

Killing classes will kill my interest and investment in D.
Alex.