On Monday, 25 May 2020 at 10:19:22 UTC, Johannes Loher wrote:
[..]
But with the DIP in its current form, we make @safe lose its meaning and power, which is much worse in my opinion.
[..]

The alternative, not making extern @safe, would result in more untrustworthy @trusted code we have to worry about. It's a vicious circle. I try to relax my view on extern annotations. They are @system. We *should* go ahead and diligently mark with @trusted. From experience, it doesn't normally happen. I don't like @safe extern, but it seems like the lesser evil. Walter got a lot of flak. I tried to retrace his thoughts and see the merits.