On Tuesday, 19 October 2021 at 13:35:16 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
On 11.10.21 03:08, Paul Backus wrote:

Perhaps worth asking why Walter, specifically, is required to work on @live in order for it to make progress. Is it just because no one else is willing to step up to the plate, or is he the only person qualified/capable enough?

I think @live is a dead end and any further work on it is probably wasted unless the code is reusable for some other feature. Ownership is a property of values, not of functions operating on those values. In particular, prioritizing ImportC over @live is the right call. ImportC is high-impact and Walter has a lot of relevant expertise.

I this specific case, I agree completely. But there is a broader pattern in D of projects getting "stuck" because a specific individual is unable to continue work on them (e.g., std.experimental.allocator and Andrei), and I think it is worth considering whether we can do anything to make future projects robust against this mode of failure.