On Tuesday, 28 July 2020 at 11:04:00 UTC, Cecil Ward wrote:
Of course, in C I used to do something like strong typing with an opaque type achieved by using something like typedef struct _something {} * type1; and then I had to do casting to get back the real type, which was unchecked but it did prevent the user from mixing up the types type1 and type2 say as they weren’t assignment compatible.

I would really like strong typing to be a built in feature. Would anyone else support this?

Once upon a time, typedef was present and backed by the compiler, but nowadays you can find it in Phobos [1], but with some quirk ...

[1] https://dlang.org/phobos/std_typecons.html#.Typedef