On Tuesday, 5 January 2021 at 22:01:08 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
Also, I think this is better determined using whole program optimization, the chosen integer bit pattern used for propagating errors has performance implications. The most freguently thrown/tested value should be the one tested most on performance critical paths.

I messed that sentence up in editing :/...

The most frequently thrown/tested values on performance critical paths should be represented with a bitpattern that is most easily tested. (you can test for more than one value using a single bitand, etc).