On Monday, 13 March 2023 at 14:17:57 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
I was looking at [1] for ways to prevent the compiler from optimizing away code when trying to benchmark.

It has the following C++ code as a simpler version:
```
inline BENCHMARK_ALWAYS_INLINE void DoNotOptimize(Tp& value) {
    asm volatile("" : "+r,m"(value) : : "memory");
}
```

I made an attempt to make a D version of it, but failed. Apparently DMD doesn't like the `""` in the first part of the asm instruction. I'm also not sure the `volatileLoad` command is right, but I didn't know of any other way to have volatile work in D (and I couldn't figure out how it actually worked from looking at the code).

```
void DoNotOptimize(T)(T* ptr)
{
    import core.volatile: volatileLoad;
    T value = volatileLoad(ptr);
    asm {"" : "+r,m"(value) : : "memory";}
}
```

[1] https://theunixzoo.co.uk/blog/2021-10-14-preventing-optimisations.html

that's illegal code. You mix GCC/LLVM syntax with D asm block and the front-end wont recognize that.

LDC recognizes a syntax similar to what is described in your link, see https://wiki.dlang.org/LDC_inline_assembly_expressions. GDC has it too (since that the syntax invented by GCC in first place) but I cant find the documentation ATM.