On Tuesday, 28 March 2023 at 01:04:19 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
I've now waste an entire day trying to figure out what's wrong, perhaps trusted D for my projects was a bad idea, i now look like a fool

sorry to hear that, I haven't really been looking to much into the debugging problems here yet. My extension mostly just integrates the existing tools here (Visual Studio Debugger / GDB + whatever is emitted in the pdb files)

What I was talking about is that it's possible dmd didn't emit the globals information in any way that the GDB / Visual Studio Debugger understand right now. I'm not a debugger expert myself, looking into this is probably something that would take a bit of research about the DWARF / PDB formats and checking how DMD / LDC emit it. I think you can probably get some great help here from Martin Kinkelin. (I think the windows and linux debug info emission works differently / are different modules, so there might be discrepancies here)

I can help you point towards where to check and who to ask here, but I don't think I can help you actually solve this issue right now. I haven't really been focusing too much on the debugger, especially not on the implementation of debug symbol emissions and the debugger itself. I have only been adding a few scripts here to get the best out the debugger that we currently have. More things require more investment into actually improving the project.

I'm quite glad about your contributions you have been doing so far and I think the issues you are opening are good to find stuff to work on. (the DCD PRs you have open right now are very nice and appreciated, but need a bit of work still done to them before they can be merged. I have reviewed them, but didn't have time to actually make the changes and test them yet - if you want to get these changes in faster you can also implement or reply to my review comments)

Further people you could ask about here:
- Iain Buclaw (GDC developer), can probably tell you about what gcc does here and possibly has insights into the D backend code that generates debug info
- Martin Kinkelin (LDC developer), ditto
- Luís Ferreira (ljmf00 on discord) - has been working on LLDB for SAoC and implementing a bunch of things - if things are missing on the debugger side, he can probably help you with LLDB implementations (you probably only need to go this far if we want to add support for new custom data structure things that D has - most things can already be realized with the debug symbols)
  • How to debug and... ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d-learn
    • Re: How to ... ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d-learn
      • Re: How... ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d-learn
        • Re:... Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-learn
          • ... ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d-learn
            • ... ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • ... ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d-learn
                • ... ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d-learn
                • ... ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d-learn
                • ... WebFreak001 via Digitalmars-d-learn
    • Re: How to ... Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-learn
      • Re: How... Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-learn
        • Re:... ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d-learn