On Friday, July 21, 2023 1:03:47 AM MDT Chris Piker via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
> On Friday, 21 July 2023 at 06:15:10 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 20, 2023 10:57:22 PM MDT Chris Piker via
> > Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> >
> > Regardless though, dub really isn't designed with packaging
> > anything in mind. Rather, it's designed to build your code as
> > well as pull in D libraries that it usees and build those too.
> > Anyone looking to actually package stuff would create a package
> > from what was built with dub (e.g. with deb, rpm, flatpacks,
> > etc.).
>
> So as far as I can tell, python pip originally only dealt with
> python code, but eventually wheels were added for binary support.
>   Just as a wild guess, do you see dub ever evolving in that
> direction?  All the reasons for not supporting pre-compiled
> binaries in pip apply to dub, but yet support was added anyway,
> and it's been wildly successful.
>
> I know it's hard to make predictions (especially about the
> future), but I'd be interesting in your opinion on the matter.

I'd be very surprised if dub added support for pre-compiled binaries -
particularly since D isn't generally binary compatible across releases - but
I really don't know what the folks working on dub want to do with it.

- Jonathan M Davis