On Sunday, 3 December 2023 at 18:56:32 UTC, Johannes Miesenhardt wrote:
On Sunday, 3 December 2023 at 14:51:37 UTC, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:
[...]

Thanks, this is super helpful. I have one other question, in the solution you posted and also the one I posted in the discord today. I was required to use byLineCopy. I first used byLine but I for some reason that I can't really explain only got the last line from that. I switched to byLineCopy because I saw it in other peoples solution and that magically fixed all problems I had. What exactly happened here?

byLine reuses the buffer. So it is only valid while you haven’t fetched the next line.

byLineCopy makes a copy of the line to give you so it will always remain valid.

In these simple small type problems I find it easier to just fetch the whole file into a string and work with that. The performance of parsing the input is negligible.

-Steve