I guess my confusion came about because in the page about interfacing with C, there's a static array example where parameters are given in terms D understands:

extern (C)
{
  void foo(ref int[3] a); // D prototype
}

I guess D has no problem translating that into a simple pointer that C can deal with. I assumed the same would be true of dynamic arrays, but maybe the leap is too far?

And I've finally got round to seeing the table above, it clearly says that C array is equivalent to D pointer. Sorry for being a time waster.