On Thursday, 4 September 2014 at 20:57:43 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
On Thursday, 4 September 2014 at 20:38:39 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
On Thursday, 4 September 2014 at 19:24:00 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
  string t1; t1 ~= '*'.repeat(n).array;
  string t2; t2 ~= "*".replicate(n);

After having read http://dlang.org/phobos/std_array.html#.replicate

I came to the conclusion that the lazy std.range:repeat is preferred.

If lazy is good enough for you yes. AFAIK, replicate is *very* close in terms of implementation to what a.repeat(n).array() would do anyways. Heck, I'd be surprised if it did it differently, since (again, AFAIK) repeat.array() is "optimal" anyways.

I re-read the doc and implementation: replicate replicates a *range*. It is a bit optimized to detect the case where the range is a single element, but it still has to do the check, and even then (implementation detail), it is less efficient. I might create a pull to tweak that.