On Sunday, 7 September 2014 at 21:06:48 UTC, zuzuleinen wrote:
Hello,

First, here is my Linkedin profile http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreiboar in order to make an image of my professional background. I do realise here are really good programmers for which this background might sound like a joke, but this is what I did so far.

After watching some presentantions from DConf, and trying the language I decided to give it a try in the future.

Currrently I'm reading the Programming in D book by Ali Çehreli, and then The D Programming Language by Andrei Alexandrescu in order to learn more.

The reason I post this is to ask you what other books do you think I should try in order to become hireable in the next 2 years?

As a web developer I know I lack a lot of information, but I'm willing to do the hard work. So if anyone has any other books/things I need to know and is willing to make me like a small roadmap to become a good D developer I would really appreciate.

Thanks a lot,
Andrei

Hi and welcome.

I find it great that you want to learn and grow as a developer, many web devs don't and yet still think they're awesome. Using a language like D is a complete departure from what you've been doing so far because it compiles to native code and with that brings quite a few things to learn.

So where to start. First, i would take time to learn about pointers. These are pretty fundamental when dealing with native code and there's no real way of getting around that. Here's a five minute guide:

http://denniskubes.com/2012/08/16/the-5-minute-guide-to-c-pointers/

After that i would probably familiarise myself with the compiler and linker:

http://dlang.org/dmd-windows.html
http://dlang.org/dmd-linux.html
http://www.lurklurk.org/linkers/linkers.html

You're already reading Ali's and Andrei's books so that's good.

Try reading the phobos documentation to familiarise yourself with the library:

http://dlang.org/phobos/index.html

Maybe controversial but i would also consider reading the C book for a good grounding in pointers and memory allocation, etc. A lot of this is relevant in D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

It's nice to know these basics and you'll appreciate D a whole lot more coming from C. ;)

Remember to ask questions here as you go.