On Saturday, 13 December 2014 at 06:40:41 UTC, ketmar via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
    auto names = File("names.txt")
        .byLine!(char,char)(KeepTerminator.no, ',')
        .map!"a.idup"
        .array;

Awesome. "map!idup" does the trick.

I had looked at the "byLine" doc before posting, in particular, this line:
"Note:
Each front will not persist after popFront is called, so the caller must copy its contents (e.g. by calling to!string) if retention is needed."

This explains the behavior though I didn't get it then. It's talking about the "range" methods. Following the component based stuff from Walter's article can be brain-bendy. And in this case, requires careful reading of the docs.
But I like it.

Thanks!