On Friday, 21 August 2015 at 12:45:52 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
On Thursday, 20 August 2015 at 15:31:13 UTC, tony288 wrote:
So I wrong some code. But it seems the time to process a shared struct & shared long is always the same. Regardless of adding paddings.

Should it be different?

Hi

all thanks, I guess there is a subtopic going on now. But I rewrote the code so that D & Java looks fairly similar. First my mistake is I divided Nanosecond with too many zeros to get ms and hence Java seemed far superior and hence my frustration. That corrected D looked better - but I feel it is a bad comparison anyways different language etc... So won't say 1 is faster than the other.

What I do find interesting is really now going back to the padding and false sharing.
If I take the code here
http://mechanical-sympathy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/false-sharing.html  edit it
as I mentioned above.

The extra Padding Does affect quite a bit Java. However with D, not so much. So was curious if something is happening in the compiler. I remember I read a thread on this community about alignAllocate .... but couldn't really follow the post.

So back to shared.. If Shared should be considered a "normal" accessible my multiple threads. Should I put this in somekind of lock/mutex/semaphore?