On Friday, 4 September 2015 at 16:19:49 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
Hi Benjamin

Would you be able to give a little more colour on what the limits are of interoperability for C++ with DMD master or release ? As I understand it destructors and constructors don't work, and obviously it will get tricky passing structures and classes from C++ libraries not ported to D.

So, things that work really well are classes. Given that you construct them in the their "native environment". E.g. create D objects in D land and C++ objects in C++ land. I usually use factory methods for this. Manually destroying objects also works if you add some kind of "Destory" method (can be virtual, but doesn't have to be) to your class which simply does a "delete this" or similar. The only problems with interfacing C++ classes to D is if they have a virtual destructor. But there is a easy workaround like so:

C++:

class SomeBaseClass
{
public:
  virtual ~SomeBaseClass();
  virtual void SomeVirtualFunc();
}

D:
extern(C++) class SomeBaseClass
{
protected:
  abstract void __cppDtor(); // don't call

public:
  void SomeVirtualFunc(); // default virtual in D
}

Free functions, static functions, non virtual functions all work flawlessly.

I recommend that you create your own pointer type on the C++ side, e.g. DPtr which calls the GC.addRoot / GC.removeRoot methods of the D's gc interface in the apropriate places in case you want to pass D objects into C++ space. If you have a reference counting concept on the c++ side its also possible to build a small proxy object which does reference counting in c++ and calls GC.removeRoot when the last reference count drops.

If you want to bind more complex types, e.g. c++ templates you can either declare them extern(C++) in D and the compiler will do the correct mangling, or what I did to make them fully functional on both sides: I did a full implementation both in D and C++. The implementation ensures that the data layout is exactly the same for D and C++ but other than that the implementation is duplicated on both sides and even different in some cases. It still possible to pass this complex type from C++ to D because the data layout is the same. I did this for a custom hash map implementation and passing it around works flawlessly (by reference)

I had another complicated case where I wanted a complex value type that is implemented in C++ on the D side. It had a lot of members which types don't have a equivalent in D, so I did the following.

extern(C++)
{
  void constructComplexStruct(ComplexStruct* self);
  void destructComplexStruct(ComplexStruct* self);
}

struct DefaultCtor {}; // helper type
alias defaultCtor = DefaultCtor();

struct ComplexStruct
{
  @disable this();
  @disable this(this);
  this(DefaultCtor)
  {
    constructComplexStruct(&this);
  }

  ~this()
  {
    destructComplexStruct(~this);
  }

  extern(C++) void SomeMethodOfComplexStruct();

private:

// must be sizeof(ComplexStruct) from c++, use unittest to ensure!
  void[288] m_data;
}

constructComplexStruct and destructComplexStruct just do a placement new / call the C++ dtor.

Usage then works like this:

void someDFunc()
{
ComplexStruct myStruct(defaultCtor); // constructed using C++ default ctor myStruct.SomeMethodOfComplexStruct(); // call C++ implemented method
  // destructed using C++ dtor
}

So far I haven't found a situation where I couldn't make it work the way I wanted. Its just some work to write the D headers for the C++ classes and vise versa, because you have to duplicate everything once more. An automated tool for this would be nice, but unfotunately there is currently none.

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut