On Saturday, 6 February 2016 at 17:22:03 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Saturday, 6 February 2016 at 11:15:06 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
Nothing prevents you from creating your own reference counting mechanism.

A struct wrapper doesn't give the things you need to reliably handle inheritance.

I don't think I suggested using a struct wrapper? :-) That just cause issues with alignment or requires a more complex allocator.

You can either build the refcount into the root class or use an extra indirection like C++'s shared_ptr.