On Monday, 8 February 2016 at 17:15:11 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
On Monday, 8 February 2016 at 16:33:09 UTC, NX wrote:

I see... By any chance, can we solve this issue with GC managed pointers?

Maybe we could. But it's never going to happen. Even if Walter weren't fundamentally opposed to multiple pointer types in D, it wouldn't happen.

You asked about things that prevent improvement, right? Here's the big one, and a major point of friction in the community: Walter and Andrei refuse to break existing code in pursuit of changes that substantially improve the language. (Never mind that code tends to break anyway.)

-Wyatt

Pretty much this.
We can't go a version without code breakage, but also can't introduce features that would drastically help the language because it would introduce breakage. i.e, all the great ownership/scope/what-have-you proposals and shit like DIP25 gets pushed through instead, then 2 days later it gets proven to be worthless anyways. Woops.