On Tuesday, 9 February 2016 at 06:22:55 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
As mentioned I never used the feature myself and wont vote for one or the other. Three people with no source code to exemplify current use of .slice! is indeed not much to base decisions on...

The mere fact that all I had to do to find people who use and care about the `ref`-ness of `Tuple.slice` was ask, and then wait a few hours, strongly suggests that there are other such people among the D user base.

When faced with a judgment call like this, we really ought to err on the side of maintaining backwards compatibility - especially since this does not preclude adding a separate by-value version of `Tuple.slice`, as well. It was going to need a new name anyway.