On Thursday, 14 July 2016 at 14:01:29 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 July 2016 at 22:30:51 UTC, Adam Sansier wrote:
Um, no, I revived it so that people searching for answers wouldn't be led astray by idiots who pretend to know everything.

My word is not COM specification of course, there's the official documentation and tons of books about COM, what one prefers, they all say the same thing, one doesn't need to trust me on that. This one is a particularly good read: https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Microsoft-Programming-Dale-Rogerson/dp/1572313498/ explains all fundamentals of COM.

COM is a model; in practice people pick the parts they need, and often still call it "COM". I see it used all the time between components that are built with the same compiler build, and so can be lax about calling convention. I've also seen cases with QueryInterface but lacking AddRef and Release, and I've seen the reverse. All of these were called "COM" by many people. So even if there's some ISO standard saying that COM must include all these elements, saying "everything else is not COM" would hinder communication.