On Sunday, 21 August 2016 at 19:42:08 UTC, Lodovico Giaretta wrote:
On Sunday, 21 August 2016 at 19:29:26 UTC, Engine Machine wrote:
[...]

The problem of this code has nothing to do with aliases. They work correctly. The problem is variable shadowing. In the following code, Child has two x variables, one of which is only accessible from a Parent reference, the other only from a Child reference.

class Parent
{
    int x;
}
class Child: Parent
{
    int x; // this shadows Parent.x
    int y;
}

void main()
{
    Child child = new Child();
    Parent parent = child;

    child.x = child.y = 3;
    parent.x = 2;

    assert(child.x == 3);
    assert((cast(Child)parent).x == 3);
    assert((cast(Parent)child).x == 2);

assert(parent is child); // same object (remember that a class is already a pointer); assert(&parent != &child); // but there are two different pointers on the stack (pointing to the same object)
}

You're right. I didn't realize that variables could be shadowed in classes. Seems dangerous. D doesn't allow shadowing in a normal context and gives an error so I don't know why it wouldn't do that in classes. (since it wasn't giving an error I thought it wasn't shadowing)