Currently I have been learning D for about a year and a half. This may seem like a short time, but this is the longest I have stuck with any language. I have only been learning for 4 years and I am currently in university studying first year of computer systems engineering.

My main problem is that now I am looking for industry placements, it is clear that in this field C and C++ are highly desired. I have used C++ prior to discovering D, but much of my learning curve has occured while using D, and I feel quite comfortable using it. Using D makes me look back at what a great language it is compared to C++ (I know it can also be compared to C but I haven't used C).

So I don't want to go back. It isn't as if I have a career in C++ (like I know some people here have) and use D (only) for pleasure so I have no real knowledge of how things I write in D compare to what I would do in C++ (and none whatsoever for C).

Does anyone have any advice for me? Obviously I'm going to have to make this leap and the organizations will have their own ecosystem but while I'm learning how can I replace some of the great things about D? Things like built-in unittests, sane static if, painless CTFE, ranges, or even just the DUB package manager/build tool.

Failing that, think of this as another one of those 'D is great!' posts ;). And whatever happens, I'll certainly try and convince my host company to use it...