On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 at 07:27:53 UTC, ketmar wrote:
On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 at 02:38:50 UTC, bpr wrote:
It's a counterfactual at this point, but I would guess that if D had left out the GC in 2010 when D2 came out it would have been ahead of C++ in many ways and perhaps would have been able to peel off more C++ programmers

c++ programmers want c++. anything that is not c++ will be bashed to death. there is absolutely no reason to kill one of the key D features only to attract 2.5 c++ coders. actually, we already have That One C++ Programmer We Need onboard -- Andrei. ;-)

Let me put My 2 cents too: the goal is not only attracting 2.5 c++ coders, but to expand Dlang using. I like D, and I want to use it wide. And I believe Dlang adepts too. So we must make D to be usefull for small, metal-bare (important for me), embedded things to whatever... We can't do it now with GC.

I'am learning Ada lang now, and understood, that many usefull things Walter took from there.

I think, a good way to step up for Dlang is to be C++ like Ada variant, with possibility to work without GC. And with GC too, to make life easier, if someone wants.
IMO )