On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 at 22:13:54 UTC, bpr wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 at 17:00:35 UTC, Jonathan M Davis

I would guess that the vast majority of interest shown in Rust is from people who essentially want a better C or C++, with no runtime/GC. So, I think Ilya's point is very plausible. D with no GC, but with modules, templates, overloading, CTFE, and some other features might have been more tempting to the no-GC crowd, which includes many hardcore C++ programmers.

Those programmers who are comfortable working in a GC-ed language will likely eschew D because D's GC is really not that great.

I don't really get the issue with D's GC, Phobos and DRuntime. JavaScript is really popular and getting really popular everyday (I mean Nodejs). Same as Python, PHP, Ruby (startups), etc. But they are not exactly betterC. Most of them don't even give native code speed.

When using D, I just want to get my app working and running. That is why more packages (vibe.d, mail, request, mysql-lited, etc) matter to me. The level you are trying to raise D is way over-kill IMO :). It's good though for those who need it. But most of us don't judge languages that way.