On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 at 16:15:32 UTC, Chris wrote:

I don't understand this discussion at all. Why not have both? I don't need bare metal stuff at the moment but I might one day, and I perfectly understand that people may need it. At the same time, there are people who are happy with runtime/Phobos/GC. In my opinion it's not a question of "either or" but of "both and".

Yes, I do agree, that is not exclusive. I only said that IMHO it would be very useful to have a clear "mechanism" (pragma, compiler flags...) to generate code close to what can be done with C. The goal being to have appealing (= fast & low memory footprint) libraries to attract people. That said, D with all its features GC, ... is great, but maybe that is not the feature that catches potential user attention the most.

-- Vincent