On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 at 16:15:32 UTC, Chris wrote:
I don't understand this discussion at all. Why not have both? I don't need bare metal stuff at the moment but I might one day, and I perfectly understand that people may need it. At the same time, there are people who are happy with runtime/Phobos/GC. In my opinion it's not a question of "either or" but of "both and".

I can only speak for myself, but the concern is that we'll move in the direction of Rust, where you're supposed to read a dissertation on memory management before writing "Hello, World". The current state of affairs should be the default. Those with more advanced uses in mind should be able to do what they need, but it should be done without pushing away non-hard core developers.