H. S. Teoh wrote:

Having said all that, though, have you used a profiler to determine
whether or not your performance bottleneck is really at the function in
question?  I find that 90% of the time what I truly believe should be
inlined actually doesn't make much difference; the bottleneck is usually
somewhere else that I didn't expect.  I used to spend lots of time
trying to hyper-optimize everything, only to discover later that 90% of
my efforts have been wasted on gaining a meager 1% of performance,
whereas if I had just used a profiler in the first place, I would have
gotten a 50% performance improvement with only 10% of the effort.
hear, hear!