Well I ended up getting it to compile finally by adding extern "C" before the function imports on C++ side (Again i added the extern(C) to D side) however i still end up not being able to run the program as it keeps telling me:

0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000

Ive been googling this for a while but can't seem to figure out what causes it aside from the general concensus being "Im trying to access a null pointer" but neither side of my code as far as i can tell actually attempts this... any ideas?