On Tuesday, 18 July 2017 at 17:35:17 UTC, Enjoys Math wrote:
Without them crashing the app running them? Say by wrapping with try / catch?

and, most probably a timeout, as you're certainly going to run into infinite loops.

Reason is so I don't have to make my own VM.

Why not reuse an existing one? Some of them are very simple:
https://github.com/munificent/wren

It will be a lot easier than trying to generate random *compilable* D programs ; and will avoid requiring a compilation step in your mutation loop (I know the D compiler is fast, but still :-) ).