On Wednesday, 26 September 2018 at 23:32:36 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 3:24:07 PM MDT Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
Object.factory kinda sux and I'd actually like to remove it (among other people). There's no plan to actually do that, but still, just on principle I want to turn people away.

While there may not currently be plans to be remove it, as there _are_ plans to add ProtoObject as the new root class underneath Object, at some point here, it's likely that a large percentage of classes won't have anything to do with Object, so relying on Object.factory to be able to construct class Objects in general isn't likely to be a viable path in the long term - though presumably it would work for a code base that's written specifically with it in mind.

Personally, I'm hoping that we eventually get to the point where Walter and Andrei are willing to outright deprecate Object itself, but I expect that ProtoObject will have to have been in use for a while before we have any chance of that happening. Either way, I think that it's clear that most code bases should go with a solution other than Object.factory if at all reasonably possible.

- Jonathan M Davis

That's interesting!  Thanks for mentioning.

If you don't mind, what are the complaints regarding Object? Or can you link me to discussions/issues/documents that point out the shortcomings/pitfalls?

I've probably run into a bunch of them, but I realize D has come a long way since that original design and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot more for me to learn here.