On Monday, 22 October 2018 at 18:44:01 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2018-10-21 20:45, Jon Degenhardt wrote:

The issue that caused me to go to Ubuntu 16.04 had to do with uncaught exceptions when using LTO with the gold linker and LDC 1.5. Problem occurred with 14.04, but not 16.04. I should go back and retest on Ubuntu 14.04 with a more recent LDC, it may well have been corrected. The issue thread is here: https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/2390.

Ah, that might be the reason. I am not using LTO. You might want to try a newer version of LDC as well since 1.5 is quite old now.

I switched to LDC 1.12.0. The problem remains with LTO and static builds on Ubuntu 14.04. Ubuntu 16.04 is required, at least with LTO of druntime/phobos. The good news on this front is that the regularly updated dlang2 docker images work fine with LTO on druntime/phobos (using the LTO build support available in LDC 1.9.0). Examples of travis-ci setups for both dlanguage and dlang2 docker images are available on the tsv-utils travis config: https://github.com/eBay/tsv-utils/blob/master/.travis.yml. Look for the DOCKERSPECIAL environment variables.