On Thursday, 16 May 2019 at 12:45:03 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
I think you have overcomplicated something quite simple.

int[4] buffer;
int bufferLength;

buffer[bufferLength++] = item_to_append;
buffer[bufferLength++] = item_to_append;

int[] slice = buffer[0 .. bufferLength];

// you can use slice to any std.algorithm calls etc
// just remember it is on the stack so don't store it beyond a function call

Thanks. It's really a lot simpler than I thought. It's slightly error prone (i.e., the code doesn't work if I use ++bufferLength), but its simplicity might be worth the trade-off.