On Wednesday, 8 October 2014 at 20:35:05 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 10/8/14, 4:17 AM, Don wrote:
On Monday, 6 October 2014 at 19:07:40 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

And personally, I doubt that many companies would use D, even if with perfect C++ interop, if the toolchain stayed at the current level.

That speculation turns out to not be true for Facebook. My turn to speculate - many other companies have existing codebases in C++, so Sociomantic is "special".

Well, when IMHO, when discussing 'strategies', pretty everything it's a speculation... C++ interlope can also be attrattive when you need to start a new project, a you need C++ libs.

But, the point it's that, again, IMHO, you tend to conflate Facebook need with D need (I know I'll receive pain back for this ;-).

Sociomantic is not so special at all, about not having a previous C++ codebase: I personally know plenty of cases like that.

But if D don't stop thinking about "new feature" and never terminate the previous plans, well, my speculations is that I donno about future adopters, but for sure it's scouring actual adopters; and the for sure it's based on what we feel here in SR Labs company.

That's of course good, but the reality is we're in a complicated trade-off space with "important", "urgent", "easy to do", "return on investment", "resource allocation" as axes. An example of the latter - ideally we'd put Walter on the more difficult tasks and others on the easy wins. Walter working on improving documentation might not be the best use of his time, although better documentation is an easy win.

Well, I've read your and Walter comment on the multiple alias this PR, so good: but the point that it was the community that pushed both of you on that track, it's systematic about an attitude.

And now, shields up, Ms Sulu!
--
/Paolo