On Thursday, 9 October 2014 at 14:38:08 UTC, ixid wrote:
Dicebot wrote:

Switch to input/output ranges as API fundamentals was supposed to fix it. Custom management policies as you propose won't fix it at all because garbage will still be there, simply managed in a different way.

Would it be impractical to support multiple approaches through
templates? There seemed to be clear use cases where supplying
memory to a function was a good idea and some where it wasn't.

Multiple approaches for what? Adnrei proposal is not fundamentally incompatible with range-fication our using our array parameters, it simply moves the focus in a different direction (which is of no use to us).

Looking at http://wiki.dlang.org/Stuff_in_Phobos_That_Generates_Garbage I also feel that ranges + reusable exceptions pools (needs refcounting for exceptions to implement) alone can take care of majority of issue, new proposal being more of a niche thing.