On Saturday, 11 October 2014 at 23:37:42 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:

I had the same feeling as Jakob about an `Appender` already
in the base class and would have expected a bare bones
abstract class + a batteries included version using `Appender`.
(A bit like Java's …Listener and …Adapter classes.)
That seems more clean to me in a representational fashion.
Technically we can just ignore the extra field...
It also seems legit to reduce pressure on the GC, by resetting
the `Appender` instead of nulling it.

What if a Logger down the chain keeps the string around and you overwrite it?