On 11/9/14 4:49 AM, "Nordlöw" wrote:
On Sunday, 9 November 2014 at 08:12:37 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
sortBy!(expr) is equivalent with sort!(expr_a < expr_b) so there's no
additional power to it. However, it does make some sorting criteria
easier to write. A while ago I took a related diff pretty far but in
the end decided to discard it because it didn't add sufficient value.

What do you mean by sufficient value?

It seemed to me just another way of doing the same things.

Ruby has sort_by. I believe D would when possible should be a superset
of the union of powers available in other languages to maximize the ease
of porting code *to* D and the pleasure for programmers to switch to D.

Sadly things don't work that way - e.g. Phobos1 took a bunch of string functions from Ruby and Python, to no notable effect.

I'll try to make this elegant and useful and use it myself for a while.
If it works for me I'll do a PR still. Ok?

That's a better approach, thanks. A few compelling examples would help.