On Tuesday, 9 December 2014 at 20:19:59 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
As someone (ab)using empty template "idiom", I agree, we need a better
solution.
[...]

I don't see what's the problem with making it an "empty" template. It eliminates dead code in your executable if you never call that function, it enables attribute inference, and it allows inlining. The only major
incompatibility I can see is the ability to ship closed-source
libraries, but in that case, inlining is already out of the question
anyway, so it's a non-issue.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Considering the optimizer don't know what a template is, and do
the inlining, I'm not sure why everybody think the 2 are that
linked.