On Tuesday, 9 December 2014 at 20:19:59 UTC, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
I don't see what's the problem with making it an "empty" template. It eliminates dead code in your executable if you never call that function, it enables attribute inference, and it allows inlining. The only major
incompatibility I can see is the ability to ship closed-source
libraries, but in that case, inlining is already out of the question
anyway, so it's a non-issue.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Because you don't really create a template that way but workaround broken function behavior. It is not the usage of empty templates that is bad but the fact that plain functions remain broken => not really a solution.