On Tuesday, 9 December 2014 at 19:39:31 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
On Monday, 8 December 2014 at 23:00:05 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
This is inherently about ownership. I have a proposal about this.
Scope is about using things without ownership.

Both are linked but different beast.

Not really different. The activation record (stack frame) is conceptually an object. Scoped objects are owned by the activation record. You have the same problem when handing out references to parts of composite objects.

When propagating references down a call chain you can keep track of the associated call-depth, when the call-depth associated with the reference is greater than 0, then it safe to return the reference from a function. Right?

That why i say they are linked. I don't think your way of stating
it contradict what I said.

scope allow for manipulation of data without owning them.
Whatever the owner is (be it the stack frame or anything else)
doesn't really matter here.