On Monday, 22 December 2014 at 10:30:47 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
More importantly: it makes no business sense to invest in an open source project that shows clear signs of being mismanaged. Create a spec that has business value, manage the project well and people with a commercial interest will invest. Why would I contribute to the compiler if I see no hope of it ever reaching a stable release that is better than the alternatives from a commercial perspective?

It is not clear that the core team wants commercial investment, that's merely my guess of how D might become more polished and popular. AFAICT, Andrei and Walter hope to get to a million users mostly through volunteers, which is a pipe dream if you ask me, though they don't appear to be against commercial involvement. As you say, without presenting a more organized front, maybe such commercial investment is unlikely.