On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 17:59:48 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
that's a big win. Every little bit of performance improvement that we can get out of dmd is an improvement, especially when those improvements come at minimal cost, and I see no reason to not improve dmd's performance where it's not going to be a huge timesink to do so and where the appropriate precautions are taken to avoid regressions.

Actually, if you think about PR, it does not matter. I might even be better to perform 50% worse and call it a development-mode than to perform 25% worse in release mode...

How about putting effort into making it easier to hook multiple backends into the same binary instead? People won't complain if they can toss in "-O" and get LLVM backend output from the same compiler.