On Friday, 21 August 2015 at 01:29:12 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 01:20:25AM +0000, jmh530 via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Friday, 21 August 2015 at 00:00:09 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

The gdc version, by contrast, inlines *everything*,

This could be why I've observed performance differentials in dmd for doing some manual for loops rather than using the stuff in std.algorithms.

Very likely, I'd say. IME dmd tends to give up inlining rather easily. This is very much something that needs to improve, since ranges in D are supposed to be a big selling point. Wouldn't want them to perform poorly compared to hand-written loops.

Yeah, ranges should ideally be a zero-cost abstraction, at least in trivial cases.