On Friday, 6 May 2016 at 23:46:56 UTC, Anon wrote:
On Friday, 6 May 2016 at 20:32:59 UTC, Assi Zanafi wrote:
Quantum CPU before x86_128 ? what do you think ?
I really think that x86_64 is the last "classic architecture". Intel will never make x86 with 128 bits addresses. Qbytes will raise before.

I don't know which will come first, but QPUs will not obsolete CPUs and GPUs. QPUs are not just faster CPUs. In a very similar manner to how GPUs are better than CPUs for some (but not all) tasks, QPUs will be better for a number of problems, but many algorithms will not see any benefit from use of a QPU. Future computers will have a CPU, GPU, and QPU, each used in tandem for the things each is good at.

My understanding of QPUs agrees with this - they're a fundamentally different usage model, and using them as the primary processor in a system is infeasible (right now) at present.