On Thursday, 2 June 2016 at 15:40:28 UTC, Seb wrote:
I don't see it the same way. Yes, I agree my opinion is not representative. I'd also say I'm glad I can do something about this.

Moved Andrei's post (http://forum.dlang.org/post/nipb14$ldb$1...@digitalmars.com) to a new thread.

[...]
Meanwhile, I go to conferences. Train and consult at large companies. Dozens every year, cumulatively thousands of people. I talk about D and ask people what it would take for them to use the language.
Invariably I hear a surprisingly small number of reasons:
[..]

* Tooling is immature and of poorer quality compared to the
competition.

And what have we done about it? How long has it been since dfix existed, yet we still haven't really integrated it into the dmd toolchain?

I've spoken to Brian about it. Dfix does not do lookup, which makes it sadly not up for meaningful uses.

How about we start calling dfix and dscanner "official", move them over to the Dlang github namespace and ship them with every release?

* Hiring people who know D is a problem.

There are many willing candidates right here. :-P

Nice.

We should start to list companies that use D - that solves the chicken vs. egg problem too:
https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/1312

* Documentation and tutorials are weak.

And what have we done about this?

http://tour.dlang.org is a good start.

Yes it is good step, but we need to improve this and create more! Having a MOOC (usually >50K viewers!) would be the best way to move forward.

* There's no web services framework (by this time many folks know of D, but of those a shockingly small fraction has even heard of vibe.d). I have strongly argued with Sönke to bundle vibe.d with dmd over one year ago, and also in this forum. There wasn't enough interest.

I heard this a lot too.
"You don't have a web server in your standard libary?? It's 2016!" We should close the gap to NodeJS, Go (and all the other languages) ASAP and standardize the API for the following:

1) event loop library (e.g. https://github.com/etcimon/libasync)
2) bare-metal http server with full HTTP2 support (e.g. https://github.com/etcimon/libhttp2)

NodeJS provides such a low-level API and this has been a key part of their success, because so many libraries built on-top of this without breaking each other.

https://nodejs.org/api/http.html

What about linking to it in a prominent place on dlang.org? This isn't a big problem, AFAICT. I don't think it takes months and years to put up a big prominent banner promoting vibe.d on, say, the download page of
dlang.org.

PR please. I can't babysit everything. I'm preparing for a conference where I'll evangelize for D next week (http://ndcoslo.com/speaker/andrei-alexandrescu/). As I mentioned at DConf, for better or worse this is the kind of stuff I cannot delegate.

That could help, but it's needs more work:
https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/1314

Hello,

My first post on dlang. :)

to #makedanggreatagain I guess dlang just needs to go where is noise and fish people from there. That place is web and mobile, and games The same as go, adding a html library a tiny sinatra style web framework given the speed of dlang, my bet this will manage to add more people. Even this website is amazing how fast it is. I know is vibe.d. But vibe.d is forever in beta mode. Mobile. This is long and complicated. I read that there some movements in this direction using android, but having in the next few years one lib to build cross platform will be a kill Games. Even here, adding a library to make with work with android or ios. Similar with sprite kit, or cocoa will move more people.

tour.dlang.io is a nice beginning. Just a beginning.

dfmt tool. In tour.dlang.io is a different style of writting code than what will generate for you.
code.dlang. The website looks bad. But is very fast.
I do have a domain, grab it last year, http://dlangbyexample.com/. I would like to donate it to dlang foundation and there someone should use https://www.gitbook.com/ and add a really nice website.

IDE. mono-d and visual studio. Rest of them are bad

I hope this post will not add any kind of rant over the people here. I know you are amazing. I would love to help, but, I have no idea how to start, where to go, what is the plan.