On Mon, 2016-06-06 at 13:10 +0000, jmh530 via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 05:49:53 UTC, Ethan Watson wrote:
> >
> > Echoing the need for decimal support. I won't use it myself,
> > but I know it's critical for finance.
>
> You can always round something to two digits if you need to.

For graphics cards this approach to floating point may work: in fact we
know it does, graphics card floating point is fast but really quite
inaccurate, but it is accurate enough that the final rounding leads to
the right result (usually). For finance, you have to have very high
accuracy all the way through calculations: floating point rounding
errors are a serious problem solvable only with arbitrary
size/precision numbers. Hence Java's BigDecimal, GNU's gmp and all the
other realizations. This is not just an abstract technical debate, it
is a matter of compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.

And no you can't do it with integers, at least not hardware ones.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.win...@ekiga.net