On 7/12/16 7:51 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2016-07-12 11:06, Chris wrote:

I turn it off every day.

Sleep can be convenient if you're going to use it later the same day,
for example.

If the OS is up too long (several days), it
starts to act weirdly and may crash at the most inconvenient time (is
there a convenient time for a crash?). All OSes are the same in this
respect, I think Windows is the worst, but Linux and OS X are not much
better in this respect. Must be some sort of memory pollution.

I use OS X and I don't recognize that problem.

OSX needs a reboot every once in a while. iOS too. In particular, my bluetooth system will stop working (and then my trackpad no longer works). Yes, I've tried all the resetting firmware tricks :)

But it's like months between reboots for me. Much better than Windows ever was. Most of the time, I reboot because of an OS update.

But... I leave my home Mac on all the time. It's one of the auto-tester nodes. Makes me a tad concerned, though I've never had a computer catch fire. I've seen etches burn up though when working for a computer appliance manufacturer. So it does happen. Never caught fire though, just burned up and stopped working.

-Steve